Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Holiday!

I've just come back from a wonderful holiday in France. Who did I go with? Would it surprise you if I said people I've met through the internet? It surprised a few people I know, that's for sure. "What if they're really weird?" "What if they turn out to be psycopaths?" that sort of thing. Well, it would be unwise to go on holiday you've only virtually encountered, but as I pointed out to the detractors, we have all met before, on various occasions, and I considered them friends long before we had the idea of going on holiday together.

In total there were five of us, three boys and two girls. Against all the perceived odds, we got on like a house on fire!

We stayed in the Alps region, not far from Mont Blanc, the peak of which you could clearly see from our balcony, if the weather was right. The Alps? In summer time? Surely this is a skiing resort? Well, it is. And it's also a summer resort. There were so many activites - horse riding, paragliding, rafting, hydrospeed, kayaking, pot holing, rock climbing, and many many walks.

Between them, my friends managed to partake of nearly all these activities except the rock climbing. For my part, I did manage to go for a swim in the nearby lake. I'm not really the athletic sort, if you get my drift. Mind you, if there had been a big enough wetsuit, I would have gone for the rafting trip. But there wasn't, so I didn't.

Mont Blanc itself was mightily impressive. Four of us went there one afternoon, and took the cable car to right near the top. It was funny to see most people all wrapped up in their ski jackets, scarves, gloves and hats, for the temperature at the top was around -6 degrees celcius. I don't know what all the American students made of me, a podgy South Londoner strolling around in my t-shirt, smoking a fag, but I did receive one or two bemused looks.

And now I'm back home, missing not only being on holiday, more my friends. We had such fun in the evenings, chatting, drinking, eating fabulous food. The downside with going on holiday with people you meet through the internet is we don't all live near each other, which makes it hard to just pop over and see them.

Having said that, we have arranged to meet up on the Bank Holiday weekend for a drink, and share our photographs with each other. For my part, I'm not really a photograph taker, so my contribution will be a bit measly. I say that, I've still yet to try and work out how to get the blighters off my mobile phone!

Ah well, I'm sure we shall enjoy the next holiday together.

Toodle-oo for now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Edwin McBedwin said...

Neither can I!

Here, have a tissue to wipe away the tear.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home