Thursday, August 25, 2005

Falling in love and through tables.

Have you ever been in love, and lost? It's funny how certain things can trigger memories, hearing a song, a certain aroma, even the way the light shines can remind you of your former love.

A few years ago (in fact, last century), a girl started playing rugby for our ladies team. A really pretty young thing (she was 19), with dark wavy hair, green eyes and a heart-stopping smile. I'd seen her at the club, and at the pub we used to go to on a Sunday. She recognised me, and we started chatting, and soon became friends. I didn't think anything at first, she was going out with a friend of mine, who was nearer her age, but after a few months my feelings towards her changed.

To cut a long story short, I never told her how I felt, as I was scared of rejection. Not only that, but once you do that, it's hard to remain just friends.

Then, on boxing day a year or so later, we all got invited to a house party. That year my old boss had given me the usual xmas present - a litre and a half of vodka. I knew she was there in the living room, and, being in a funny mood that day, I decided to plant myself in the kitchen with my vodka and several cartons of orange juice.

A mistake.

Three hours later, and I've finished the whole bloody lot, but I felt fine. And brave. Too brave. I began to walk to the living room. A walk that slowly deteriorated into lurching, which then crumbled into bouncing off the walls. I enter the living room, the whole place had a fluid quality to it, and the water seemed choppy.

I manage to spot the girl of my dreams, raise my arm and point straight at her. At this point, the room has fallen silent, all eyes looking at me in a combination of amusement and bemusement. Then I bellow the words "K****, I LOVE YOU!"

More silence, and I'm standing there, swaying slightly.

And then I fell through a table. A table full of ashtrays, cans and bottles.

Now I don't remember much else that evening, suffice to say that I woke up near the car park to my house.

Anyway, soon after that, she went to Canada, came back, got married and had a baby boy. Without so much a as a bye your leave.

Love hurts? Well yes. So does smacking your head on a solid wood table, only £100 from your local pine retailer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Edwin McBedwin said...

((((Blue))))

Next time I see you I'm going to give you another bear hug!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Edwin McBedwin said...

I would never hurt you.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

that sounds very very scary!

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home